Tuesday, May 18, 2010



There's an old Bon Jovi song that has some lyrics like "Oh, we're halfway there! Whoa ho, livin' on a prayer!" This is me, halfway there... Certainly running with a prayer.

This is the finish line photo from the Provo City Half Marathon on May 1, 2010.

"What?!?" you gasp in disbelief. This must be a doctored photo, like the one of the shark attacking a coast guard helicopter that promises you 1 million dollars if you can tell if it's real or fake. No, my friends, this is no doctored photo. Nor is this the finish line of the Mayor's Mile fun walk. I really did it! I ran a half marathon! Ran until my IT Band snapped around mile 12, dragged my unbending leg behind me for about 1/2 a mile until the 1,000 mill. of Ibuprofen kicked in, then ran the rest of the way. My cute brother Doug came to jog the last little bit with me which meant so much to me since I was in such wretched pain.

But I, the un-running, piano playing fatty of the family, mother of 5 (the youngest of which is still nursing) ran a half marathon. Through the rain, sleet, snow and icy wind (no joke), I ran until the end. Which is a true testament to the whole mind-over-matter deal. And I have the shirt to prove it!


So (you might ask after you have been revived from your Post Traumatic Stress Coma which was brought on by this shocking news), what was the whole Bon Jovi thing about at the beginning of the post? Was it a red herring? Is Susie suddenly into 1980's butt rock? No, no, it has a purpose. This race was but HALF of what I'm really working toward. (You might want to call the paramedics now so that you can be revived when you fall off your seat from shock.) I'm training for the Utah Valley Marathon on June 12, 2010. I do still have ITBS (Illiotibial Band Syndrome) which is a painful inflammation of the ITBand (the tendon that runs from your hip, down the side of the leg & wraps around the knee) to deal with so my training has been setback a little. But as long as I can do so safely, I will be running 26.2 miles on June 12th. If I can do 13.1, I can do 26.2. And I'll have the shirt to prove it!


6 comments:

J said...

Go Susie!! You seriously rock sista. I love you.

I was actually thinking today (true story) that you should be blogging more for the pure enjoyment of your family and friends. I hope you won't wait that long to blog again. I would sure love to see more of your family life though your witty writing.

As for your marathon, (or your half marathon for that matter) you will always be able to one up me in any conversation. Poo poo on your miserable 5Ks Julienne. You know nothing of pain.

I love that Doug finished the race with you. He is a good running buddy.

"Livin' on a Prayer" (Sixth Grade, Todd Rizzo, talent show, twitch twich)

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Oh I bow down to you oh you hot momma runner! AND I agree wiht Julienne...PLEASE post more, I mean its not like you don't have the time with your five kids, probable church leadership calling, probable piano teaching, training for a marathon and all...I mean really you slacker! Haha.

Um I love you tons...shh Spencer is applying for a job in Springville. Cross your fingers friend!!! Cross 'em hard!

Larissa

Melanie said...

Yeay Susie...I am so glad that you posted. What a feat...13 miles. WAY TO GO!

Good luck in your training. I wish I was there with you. I would TOTALLY go along.

Nyree said...

Last time you posted you were having a baby! I was thinking that was the case here... lol!
You are my new hero! Seriously Susie! Having five kids and the time to work your butt of to train for something like that is amazing! Not even counting the stamina to do it all. I can barely run a block without feeling like I might pass out. You are awesome! Good Job.. miss you and your darlin family

Angela Baird said...

Congrats a million times over! What an accomplishment...and in the rain! The whole IT band thing? Ouch... Mike had some problems with it when he was running and someone gave him a huge styrofoam rolling pin type thing to lay on his side and roll over the IT band...made him groan in pain, but it seriously helped. Best wishes with that. I love you and am proud of you. We'll have to mark our calendars and be there on race day! We'll talk and get more details at Tyler's wedding! Way to go!

Tina said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is definitely inspiring! I'm so proud of you and good luck on the marathon! I don't know how you do it, but I'd be clapping on the sidelines for you if we were there! Also, keep up the posting, I love it!